Friday, January 25, 2008

So, I've been thinking...

"Blogs are creepy" That is what I was told recently. "It's like putting your journal online for the world to read." I admit, those were my thoughts when I sat here for the first time, filled a page, then deleted it in exchange for a fluff post. But I've since changed my mind. Besides, as I told her, 'no one reads them anyway'. Except for a half dozen people (maybe). I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't feel too exposed. I still have my journal for all the stuff I don't want to share with the world, oh, I mean 5 people. Creepy? Nah, I don't think so.

Also, one of my goals for this year is to read the whole Bible, cover to cover. I don't think I've ever done it before. I know I've read the entire NT, the books of wisdom, and Genesis. So, I wanted to make sure I've read it all. That I wasn't missing anything. So far so good. I do it online, of course, and it keeps track of my progress. And it keeps me accountable. I feel so bad if a day goes by w/o me putting my little check mark beside the days reading. And I'm really enjoying it.

Lately I've been making myself see these 'biblical characters' as the real people that they were. That Solomon was a man that really had 700 wives and 300 concubines. What was he thinking? Did he do anything at all besides... be a husband? Yikes. And Leah and Rachel. How did they live as they did, w/ the same husband? I know times and cultures were very different, and they didn't know marriage any other way. But they were women. We can be catty, and jealous. Did they fight? Over Jacob? And the fish and bread story. I marvel over it. There were really only 2 fish. Were they big fish? Did they smell? Were they whole fish or already filleted? The bread? Did people take chunks, or whole loaves? Was it fresh or days old already?

I could go on and on. But those are some of the thought processes I've had lately. Seeing people of the past as real people. As men like our men, and as women like us. The children that got to approach Jesus, that struggled to get to him because the world wanted to keep them away from Him. Those kids were as real as the children I have that I want to do the same thing.

4 comments:

  1. Job, and Esther,
    Samson, and Paul.
    Amazing people with amazing stories. All on the same playing field as us. Here to carry out God's work and give Him glory. Simply amazing....Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey tanya-

    I'm glad your thinking along those lines. I been thinkin alot about that kind of stuff too. And it's funny, when i think about Job, how his friends thought he was being punished because he sinned, and kept on him about it, and yet he had not sinned. It's funny how sometimes the people around us can be soo wrong about our heart and where we are at with God, But God knows. Even paul, i'm sure the jews didn't get what was up with him either, i mean he was a little too blod for comfort and stuff. And look even at david, he was just a little shepherd boy, and even our Savior, he was just a carpenter. It's a good thing that the love the Father has for us is not based on our status huh? i love you gurl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I love the picture of you! You should read The Red Tent, it's a great novel based around the story of Leah, Rachel, Jacob, their families and children...it's fictionalized, but it gives such a great insight to what life then was like and what it would feel like to live then. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tanya! Very interesting entry - yes, I have been told that blogs are creepy too. And keep something in mind - though you probably only do have about 5 or so *constant* readers, do not think that other people will not happen upon your blog. I have gotten several comments on my blog entries from people all over the world - Greece, Morocco, Italy, etc. Of course mine may be easier to find because these country names are tagged into my entries but the point is that people DO often happen upon them. In your case, since yours has a spiritually slant to it you will probably get some of those type of readers, which is excellent. Who knows you may even make some great friends! On the contrary to the creepiness, I don't think there is anything creepy about blogging, like me - you aren't listing your name, address, phone number or specific places, etc. As long as you are careful I think it is a great way to continue crafting a writing skill. It also keeps you in touch with cool friends like me! :-)

    Also, if you are interested in learning more about the marriages of people long ago, sharing husbands and such - there is a great book called "Dreams of Trespass" which I have if you'd like to borrow it. Once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. It is by a Moroccan author named Fatima Merissi, and she talks about growing up in a harem in Fes where both her mother and grandmother were married to a man with several wives. Yes, as you say there is alot of cattiness, BUT it is interesting because sometimes the wives become like sisters and great friends. Given that life is a bit boring for women in that circumstance, the arrival of new blood is often something welcoming. I know it is hard for us to understand in our culture and times, but that's why I thought the book was fascinating - because it shed some light on that way of life, good and bad. In some ways I felt sorry for them, and yet in others I envied their strong bonds and their strong will despite their circumstances. If you'd like to read it I can send it to you or bring it home next time I go back. Also, kudos on reading the bible cover to cover - I plan to do that as well some day before visiting the Holy Lands, as that is on my travel list (I can give you the low-down on that too if you're interested!). I would have like to have read the Koran before going to Morocco but never got around to it - I read a few of the Hindu books before I left for India and it made my travel experience alot more interesting. Let me know how long it takes you to finish it. Tracey

    ReplyDelete