I was driving through the city the other day, and I was saddened. Nice weather is upon us, and people were out and about, enjoying it. The city I live in is filled with poverty. But more than that, it is filled with people who are lost.
I was watching the young moms with their children; scolding, yelling, swearing and smoking. And at first, I felt very self-righteous; after all, I had been a young mom, and I was never that bad. But then I realized that sin is sin, so yes, I was.
I watched the homeless men; the 'drunks and druggies'. Again my first reaction was to pat myself on the back. But again, 'there, but for the grace of God, go I...'
I know that I am right where God wants me to be; at home training my children in the way they should go. Yet I wonder about all the lost that surround me. There's got to be a way to reach them. I can't hang out downtown with my kids, passing out tracts. I'm not called to get up on a soapbox and preach. And, as much as I'd like to, I can't open my home up for battered women and children. So what can I do?
I can be an example with my life. I can endure any trials that I face with joy. I can demonstrate love, as Jesus did, to the outcasts and rejects; to those who need Him most. I can teach my children how to live, so that people will wonder about 'the light' that is reflected in our lives. And I can pray. For those who don't have hope in Jesus, starting with those in my family, and anyone else that He chooses to bring into my life.
I pray that I will be less selfish and more willing to give of myself, so that others might know the God that I serve.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




When we love the Lord we love what He loves and we hate what He hates...I can get overwhelmed at times as I consider the state of our fallen world. It is so easy to think that there is nothing that can be affected by what I do. I am so glad I serve an awesome God who has it all figured out and He only calls me to serve where He places me. Serving where we are and answering His call to love those He puts in our world is the best we can do...and then we rest knowing that He is in control. Amen sister. I too need to be more selfless...apart from Him we can do nothing...fill us up Lord!
ReplyDelete