I know I haven't' posted in a while. I had all sorts of interesting things to share with you. But then we got an odd email, and now I'm kinda freaked out. I know I've mentioned before that people think blogs are creepy. I did not agree with that, until now.
The email was from a seemingly caring individual, who warned us of the dangers of blogs. Since I have one (duh) and my son does, this person said they were able to get a lot of information about our family, just by searching the Internet. Did I consider the fact that people would see my blog; strangers that I didn't' know? Of course, that's how I've met some of you wonderful blog friends. Did I think stalkers, pedophiles or just plain wackos were out there? Of course. Did I think I had the wisdom and power to protect myself and my family? Well, yeah, with the Grace of God.
I love to blog. My son loves to blog. I think he does a fine job, and that it's good for him (and for me) to write, and communicate with people. Did I imagine people warning us of the safety of our family, and even our SS#'s, addresses, and such? Uh, no.
But now, I'm wondering. Do I need to be more concerned than I am? Am I being lax in my duties as a mother by allowing my son such Internet access? Am I putting my family in danger? Are we all in grave danger of identity theft, kidnapping, murder? Okay, I'm getting dramatic, but those are things that cross my mind.
So, bloggy friends, real friends, acquaintances, and strangers that Google me and find my blog; what do you think? Should I stop blogging? Am I making bad choices for my family just because I love to write, and have found, what I though was a harmless outlet for it?
Yeah, I'm putting myself out here. Yes, I'm real. I share my family, my faith, and my fears. I have nothing to hide. I am what I am. But should I not be? Should I be less real? Less candid? Less honest? Less trusting of the world wide web and the evil it contains? Am I being foolish in trusting, or faithless in counting on my God to be in control, whether I'm online or not. He's kept us in the palms of His hands thus far. And I KNOW that He works all things for good, for those who love Him. I love Him, I seek His ways, and I put the family that He's blessed me with, back in His hands -they are only on loan to me anyway.
Once again, I've ranted and rambled. I hate when My writing comes out like this. But I wrote as I thought, and I hope I make sense. I hope that anyone who reads this will comment, and give me honesty. After all, that is what I've given you. Thanks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I read your post, and i have enjoyed reading your posts. The internet can be a dangerous thing, but so can crossing the street. Sometimes people get soo worked up in protecting themselves that they close themselves into a little bubble where nothing in the world can never touch them. How then is that a testimony for Christ? How then do we reach out to a world of blogs and facebook along with myspace and all that if we decide that we must not participate in it because of fear. I believe there is a verse that talks about how God casts out all fear. Then what are we to do, worry or trust God?
ReplyDeleteI have at times struggled with this as well. I have debated whether it is a spirit of fear that Satan is using to keep me from reaching out and touching other sisters in Christ that I would never reach otherwise if it is a prudent warning I should heed. I have talked to hubby about it and he is always certain that I should not be afraid. It is a different world we live in. But honestly...much can be found out about us whether we blog or not. Krogers knows what we buy each week. Many many have our social security number. Google can give them lots too. We cannot live in a cave. We must trust God and be prudent. I try to keep details out of my blog...ages but not birthdates...not my son's names...not our address. But I know if anyone wanted to they could figure it all out. Nonetheless you could walk by an evil person who follows you home...are you never going to leave your house either? Every part of life is a walk of faith. God is sovereign though and as long as we are prudent and God honoring in what we do, seeking His will as best we can...He will be faithful.( He is faithful no matter what!) Our times are in His hands.
ReplyDeletejust stopping by to say hi. back from WY now..:)
ReplyDeleteare you still online? :-) I hope you didn't decide to close your blog because I do enjoy reading it. Talk soon! Tracey
ReplyDeletehey woman..you complain cause i don't write in my blog, then i do, and no love? what's up with that?
ReplyDelete