Well, today was the funeral. A very sad day. I do have a couple of great pictures of Pepere that I wanna post here, but I'll do that tomorrow. Also, I don't think I've ever seen my dad cry. How moving was that. Yet a learning experience, for me and my 2 oldest children, who came with us. I have a bunch of thoughts rambling around in my head, and I'm exhausted, so bear with me, as I try to make sense.
This was only the second Catholic Mass that I've been to (that I can remember, anyway). There is a lot of stuff that I just don't get. And of course, that was the stuff my kids had questions about. Like when Josie asked why they kept bowing to the table. I believe it was to the cross, not the table, right? And she asked why the pastor in a dress was making potion. Sorry, but I had to laugh at that one. A potion? Only my daughter. Incense, yes? Joshua and my sister Becky kept whispering to each other, 'what do we do now?' Oh, and "what is 'holy water'?" Yikes.
I do have a new level of respect for the catholic faith now, though. Where as before, I felt superior, like my faith was more real, down to earth, and just made more sense than theirs (true confession here- it's ugly, I know but I'm all about being real. Sorry if that bothers anyone.). But after hearing the priest give an awesome gospel message. Talking about Jesus' Resurrection, the stone being rolled away not to let Jesus out but to let us in, and living with and dying to Christ. Yeah, great stuff. Boy, was I off in my holy patting myself on the back for being a 'christian'. Not very Christ-like of me, huh?
Anyway, now, my major question is how do Catholics, whose basic belief system is very similar to mine (according to the priest today, anyway), also follow such strict rituals that do not come from scripture (that I know of)?
Now I feel the need to study these things about Catholicism that I don't understand. But I'm also reading about Muslim women, which I was totally wrong about in my thoughts. Gotta get through that book first. I don't know if I'll dive too much deeper into that right now, but I'm so interested. All these different beliefs out there.
I guess I just know what I know as truth. So I want to understand what it is that others believe, where it came from, and how it moves them. Make any sense?
If not, ignore me. We're still tossing the 'throw up bug' ball around. I've not been sleeping much. So, why am I awake right now? oh, I don't think I am. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Monday, February 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I was raised Catholic. Went to 12 years Catholic parochial schools. I am Catholic no logner. So it gives me an interesting perspective. I am so sorry again about your loss!
ReplyDeleteHey There!
ReplyDeleteSo now you see my fascination with all these different beliefs and cultures. I've been blessed enough to actually go to many places of different belief systems and experience it first hand, which is really incredible.
On your notions on your faith being superior, rest assured you aren't the only one. My dad once told me, "Everyone thinks they are in the right". And you know, he's right - after all, who walks around thinking their very own belief system is wrong!??! That's why it's so fascinating - to see the perspective everyone has, and why it is that they think they are right, and I've learned alot along the way.
I grew up Cathlic as well (no longer practice), so I had a good chuckle over your children's comments. Yes, it is incense, and yes, he is bowing to the cross, and no - I have no idea why the Catholic church insists on these silly rituals. I have a theory on this - note that "Catholic" is actually "Roman Catholic". Do you remember the Romans, and how crazy they were - drinking, debauchery, torture, complete mayhem and chaos? Well, my theory is that in order to scare people into calming down they literally "scared" them into a really organized and highly-structured religion, which is why I think the Catholics are so strict and guilt-enforcing. I find much of what the "organization" or "business" (and yes - it is a business) of the Catholic church is actually in direct opposition to Christ's teachings. It is one of the many reasons why I don't practice. That said, I know alot of Catholic people that are true-believing wonderful people, my parents among them. It's the organization, or business of it, that I take issue with.
I'm glad you are enjoying the book Dreams of Trespass. I read it while I was in Morocco, after I had left Fes, so by then I had a true sense of place. It was completely fabulous. Also, you'll want to read my account of the Muslim bath (which the author talks about in the book). We did it completely wrong as each "room" in the bathhouse was for something specific (I found that out from the book!). I'm sure they looked at us and said, "Look at those dumb foreigners!"
http://hellotmf.livejournal.com/2007/11/01/#157129
Okay, I'm procrastinating real work AGAIN!! Talk soon. Again, sorry for your loss with your Pepere.
Yep I get the whole thiking your faith is superior thing. BTDT! Thank the L-rd that he is always so patient with me and has taught and is still teaching me about balance. I quit following man and started following His word. So much of the Christian religion is man made and tradition based. If we can get past all of that and just get to relationship with our Saviour then truly awesome things will happen!
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your comment on my blog! :) It's so great everytime i see your name and comments. I think of you often and have missed you! :)
So nice to know you understand what i mean about all these curriculums out there! Maybe we should create a curriculum for large families. Someday when our munchkins are grown and we're little old ladies with more time on our hands! LOL! :)
So sorry about your Pepere. :9
Many blesssings to you! :)
It's tricky to ask others about their beliefs and not get into a debate and/or walk away feeling really confused. But it is worth it in the end...the best way to stay sane and grounded is to keep referring back the Bible. That is God's map for us. Blessings on your search for truth!
ReplyDelete