Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Center of a Star


I went to our ladies Bible study Friday night. Our group is called 'Evergreen'. There is a great story behind our name, which I will explain another time. For now, I want to talk about our topic of discussion, 'Hope in Prayer'. I went to the study with no expectations. I left completely blessed.

Romans 12:12 says, "rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer," I spent a majority of the time there listening, yet wondering what exactly 'hope' meant. Granted, I knew the meaning of the word, but how did it apply in prayer. What was shared was this; hope is not a wish, or a wanting, it is an assurance, a knowing, a waiting. God WILL answer your prayer. Be it with a 'yes', a 'no', a 'wait', or whatever other answer He may give you; He will give you one.

As for tribulation, well, we live in a fallen world, we WILL have tribulation. And , as Americans, we have so little of it really. We are blessed beyond measure. We have all of our physical needs at our fingertips, and all of our spiritual needs there for the taking w/o any fear of real persecution. We know some tribulation, yes, like the loss of a loved one (in any way), illness, etc. but for the most part, this tribulation thing is almost foreign to us, at least in the way it was to Paul. 2 Corinthians 6:10, "as sorrowful yet always rejoicing, as poor yet making many rich, as having nothing yet possessing all things." We can suffer, and be sad; sorrowful, yet our joy should be rooted in Christ, not our circumstances.

Another verse we looked at was 1 Thess 5:17; "pray without ceasing". This goes along with 'devoted to prayer' in Romans. Now I know we've all heard this verse. And if you're anything like me, it has overwhelmed you. I can barely walk my Christian walk 'without ceasing' , for I stumble all the time, how can I pray without ceasing? The answer was simple. It simple means pray regularly, consistently, continually. Do not offer merely random, sporadic, occasional prayers that just fill in some cracks of your life.

Some one shared some words, and these are the things that touched me the most. Zealous. Fervent. Ardent. That is how we should be praying. One of the meanings given for one of those words was 'like the center of a star'. That just settled on my soul. The words I lift up to God should not just be 'oh, help me through this mess' as I struggle w/ some situation or another, and left at that. (although there is nothing wrong w/ those kinds of prayers, for they, too are answered) But to pray ardently. To speak to my creator with zeal. To be like the center of a star! How else can I be when I come into the presence of my Almighty God?

4 comments:

  1. yep, yep, yep. Be Green! Thanks for more reminders of Friday and encouragement in prayer. God is still awesome. All the time....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts. Awesome! Love it! I have always thought pray without ceasing means a constant interaction with God throughout your day. Just talking to Him, maybe sometimes mumbling to Him as things happen. He is always the first thing you think of. Even in the little moments. I drop something, I break something I think ," Why, Lord? Oh well...You allowed it; You know best." I can't find something, "Help me to find it Lord." I see something beautiful, a quick prayer of thanks. "Thank you, Jesus, for the sunset!" just a continual communion with our very best friend. Of course the regular time of true seeking and prayer in your prayer closet are important too. Loved this post. Forgive my rambling. But that means you got me thinking and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!:)Sounds like a great bible study!
    CHAP is the christian homeschool conference here in Pa. It is overnight. I am bringing my two babies and Morgan offered to go to help me so that I could listen to the speakers and get some time of refreshing. :)
    The CAT test is the california acheivement tests that Zeke is taking as in Pa homeschoolers have to test in 3rd, 5th and 8th grades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tanya! I came over from Leslie's. I love the idea of evergreen, looking forward to hearing about it.

    Prayer is such a huge thing to me. Loved the thoughts and tidbits you shared. Good stuff! I really like knowing that about the ardent prayer being like the center of a star!

    I once heard a good Bible teacher explain hope as this "as an eager expectation of God's good, like with on outstretched neck, looking, expecting, assured of it"

    It has always stuck with me!

    In Christ,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete