Sunday, June 1, 2008

Are you content?

Evergreen meeting was Friday night. Our topic? Contentment. How timely. What a needed reminder. With my husband's grandmother very ill, other family member's struggles, and the day to day life that we all live, contentment is an area we can all use encouragement in.
Consider this passage, 2 Corinthians 10:9,10 "And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness " Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong. " This was my favorite passage of the night. How many of us can say this truthfully? I'm working on it, believe me, but I'm not quite there yet. I do know, however, that when I am weak, I am made strong in Him. His strength is what sustains me. And I am more than content with that.
Of course, we studied 1 Timothy 6: 6-8 "But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content." Are you happy with your food and clothing? Would you be happy if that was all you had? We as Americans are blessed beyond measure. Yet we feel we are suffering if we don't have an extra laptop, if our vehicles die on us for a few days, if our TiVo goes out during American Idol finale (although that truly is suffering! lol), or if we have a cold and can't sleep. Yes, that was me. But we if we have our Lord, 'godliness' , and 'food and covering' we should be content.
Finally, one of the most well known verses on contentment, Hebrews 13: 5 "...be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." That statement alone should bring us much joy. Our God, our Father, our Saviour, promises to be with us always. Are you content with that?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great bible study!
    Contentment is something I am always working on. It comes and goes for me!
    I just want Christ to be my all regardless of the situation I am in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words to to meditate on daily...great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. another great entry :-) I'm so proud of you and your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the reminder. It has been 2 months that Derrick has been out of a job and that was daily on my mind. Would I be content with a job that didn't earn as much? Was I thinking too much of material things? Was I allowing God to work and show His awesome care or did I keep worrying.
    Tomorrow he begins his new job and I found myself wishing he didn't start yet!!! How grateful am I?
    It has been a wonderful road and God showed that He is sufficient in all things. By the grace of God go I this week!
    Blessings dear sister in Christ.

    ReplyDelete