Friday, May 30, 2008

Last Day of School

Perhaps I should be posting this on our family blog, but I want to share my heart a little. As we close our school year, I am glad, just like the kids. I look forward to warm, relaxing summer days just as much as they do. Maybe more!
Yet I am also worried, or maybe concerned is a better word. I think back over this year, and more than any other school year, for some reason, I am questioning myself. Did I 'teach' well? Did we accomplish all I set out to do? Oh, sure, we finished all (uh, for the most part) of our curriculum. And I believe they are all smarter than they were in September. They all learned... something. But was it enough? Did they learn the important things?
They learned their math lessons, but did I show them how to be frugal, yet not worship the almighty dollar?
They learned grammar, reading and spelling, but did I show them how much I love to read and read the most important Word there is?
Did I stress the importance of our forefather's faith and not just their principles?
Did we honor the Creator and not just His creation?
We did Bible time. But do they see a living example in me? Do I exemplify this Savior I teach them about? Is He made real to them through me? Do they know that the Old Testament is just as real as the Civil War? Do they know that Jesus Christ was just as real as they are? They say they do, and I do see the beginning of fruits in their lives.
But my prayer, my hope, my heartfelt desire is that they continue to learn about our God. That they never cease in their hunger for Him. And if I have taught them all that, if I have led them all down that path, then I have been more successful than I ever dreamed possible.

5 comments:

  1. amen sister! I can see your example o you kids, because you have been an example to me. You are not perfect but through your imperfections just like mine, our need for our Savior everyday is lived out. I have seen you grow in tremendous ways this past year, and your kids as well. I am blessed to call you friend. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. iamgoogangenfloferflingenwappasfloogen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could have written your upost myself! My heart exactly every year all year...Hugs to you dear sister. God knew what He was doing when He gave those kids to you and when He called you to home school them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That was extremely well-written. It is really great to see you growing as a writer through your blog! :-) I'm sure your kids learn so much through you - about everything. Keep up the good work! I'm glad there are people like you out there raising good kids!

    ReplyDelete