Last night was our Evergreen meeting. It went well, not as good as last month, because last month was awesome, but I loved it none the less. After the meeting we were standing around chit chatting, as ladies are prone to do, when the subject turned, somehow, to my nephew. Now, I love him dearly. He is 9 months older than my son, being raised by his single mother. My mother-in-law mentioned that he had recently come into possession of the latest 'Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition.' Now, I do not agree with a 12 year old having one of those, but my sister-in-law is not a believer, therefore has different standards than I do. That is her perogative. My issue was with the fact that MY 12 year old was spending the night over there.
So, I immediately called my son and asked him if his cousin had any new magazines that he had showed him. He answered, "yes, but I told him I didn't want to look at it". And that pretty much ended our phone conversation.
My heart was bursting. Granted, it was not pornography, but we take a stand when it comes to modesty, and my son knows right from wrong. And I was so proud of him for choosing what was right. I considered immediately fetching him home, but since he had proven himself mature thus far, I allowed him to stay, and he came home this morning (although much earlier than we normally allow him to stay ;-0)
We discussed things further over lunch, and he proved himself again. He said he was chatting with his aunt , after his cousin had offered to share his magazine, when his cousin came out of his room, waving said magazine. "Mom," he said, "Joshua said he doesn't want to look at this"
His mother told my son, "Josh, you know they are all covered in bathing suits, right?"
To which Josh answered, "yeah, I know, but, whatever..." How eloquent! just kidding. That was his perfect way of saying, 'yeah, i know, still not interested'.
Or maybe he was interested. He is a red blooded male. On the verge of (gulp) growing up, and I know he finds girls fascinating. Yet he still chose to do the right thing. And I believe his story, cuz, come on, we all know when our kids are lying to us!
I sometimes question his maturity- he still thinks passing gas is the funniest thing on earth; yet so does my husband, so scratch that!- but I know where his heart is.
And I am so thankful that, despite my mistakes, he is still growing and learning about the Lord, and what pleases Him, above what pleases himself. He fights with his siblings, and can be quite mouthy, 'hates school', the whole bit. But when it comes down to it, his heart is right where I'm praying that it will be.
A young man, after God's own heart.
** He will probably be furious with me for writing about this, since he reads my blog, but that's okay. I want the world to know how proud I am of him and his growing maturity and faith**
Saturday, April 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Thats awesome! I know what you mean. You ahve every right to be proud of what G-d is doing in him! :):)
ReplyDeleteGo boy! You have every right to be one proud mamma!
ReplyDeleteI will say one thing. I disagree with the fact it is not pornagraphy. The swimsuit issue this year has a cover where the woman has no top on and what covers her breasts is her beautiful beaded necklace. It is pornography to the max. It is disgusting and should be banned from grocery stores. I am very proud of Joshua. Please tell him that. And let him know Satan will keep trying to pervert him with pornography the rest of his life. He needs to stay strong in his walk and realize that just one peek can lead to an addiction. Just like any other addiction. I love Josh and Brandon and pray God uses them for great things in His Kingdom here.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Me
ryc on my blog:
ReplyDeleteyes the are resistance bands. Like big elastic stretchy bands. I love them. She uses tehm in the WATP DVD's.
We don't use paper plates everyday. We bought some to have on hand for nights when we don't want to mess with dishes and get things done quick, etc.. This way they last awhile. i wouldn't buy them all the time. they wouldn't be economicalyy wise for a family our size but now and then they are ok.
i got your myspace msg :)thanks.
ReplyDeleteLOL...I think passing gas is funny too...Dont tell anyone.
ReplyDeleteWell, as long as it isnt in public!