Saturday, April 26, 2008

The garden of Me...


I am not a gardener. I do not try. I do not pretend. I kill all living things-well, green things, anyway. I even kill my children's 'virtual gardens' on Webkinz world. Just to lay a foundation here.
Well, yesterday afternoon I was outside. I will not say gardening, because then my hydrangea bushes will know what I was trying to do to them, and fall down, dead. I was removing leaves from the area where the flowers are- again, not a garden. I was taking the dead flowers off of the bushes. I was pulling up dandelions (ha, i originally typed daffodils- that would be so typical of me, to uproot flowers, rather than weeds).
Well, as I was... doing those things, but not gardening, I noticed two tulips. And I remembered planting bulbs, way before winter. And 2 of them grew. I was astonished. Amazed. Happy. I grew something! Other than children, which seem to sprout from my womb, no matter what I do, I've never grown anything before! lol. I grew flowers! And my bushes are sprouting , too! What is going on here?
Then I got to thinking (another thing I attempt to do, yet not very well). Did I really do anything? Did I do something to those bulbs, other than stick them in the dirt? Nope. Did I do anything to the hydrangea bushes, at all? Nope. Actually, I haven't touched them in 6 months. At least. So, to whom does the credit go? You got it, God did it!
Now, I know most of you are thinking, is this girl nuts? Happy because 2 measly flowers grew? Is she just realizing that God grows all things? Duh! No, of course not. I wasn't raised by wolves. Or in a concrete cell. I was just marveling at these things.
As I was removing dead flowers, twigs, leaves and branches, I was thinking of how God grows, prunes (is that the correct gardening term?), and trims back me and my life.
I am reading an awesome book, the one I mentioned in a previous post. Let me tell you, it is life changing. I can now see, that only by pruning me, can the beauty that God intends for me, come forth.
I looked up 'prune' and this is what I read: prune2
Audio Help /prun/ –verb (used with object), pruned, prun·ing.
1. to cut or lop off (twigs, branches, or roots).
2.to cut or lop superfluous or undesired twigs, branches, or roots from; trim.
3.to rid or clear of (anything superfluous or undesirable).
4.to remove (anything considered superfluous or undesirable).

I like definitions 3 & 4. That is what God is doing in my life. And I'm loving it. I am already seeing growth. I am seeing 'flowers', or beauty. I know it's painful. (I wonder if it hurts the flowers too?) But, I'm feeling like, Who cares? The end result is worth the effort.
In removing the superfluous (I looked that up, too. Unnecessary, or Needless) and undesirable what will be left? Only the necessary, needed and desirable parts of me. And that is something I am working and waiting for. Because I already see it happening.

8 comments:

  1. Good use of superfluous. I have always wanted to use that word! LOL! Great application. I hope you can grow more and more...flowers AND in your spiritual life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is God good or what! From a flower to a heart transformed. We all need to make the connection. He is at work in everything. Sovereign despite our doubts. You obviously didn't miss a thing this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, so tell me what book you are reading again? I think i missed it?
    I loved your post! I do garden and love it! i especially love herb gardening. herbs are my thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I left my new grass seed...with no one to water it...lol. I have a brown thumb!

    I love the fact that we can Rest in Christ, knowing that if we allow the Spirit to work in us, then we can be transformed. AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay, this entry made me laugh. I'm glad that your attempts at not gardening are working. I also love how the kids just "sprung from the womb" - really, that's something ;-) I like that photo, did you take that?! Why, it seems you are quite the photographer too... but let's not tell the camera that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! that's an internet picture. Remember, you taught me how to do that. Maybe I shouldn't tell the internet that I know how to do something, or that will stop working, too! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  7. "children, which seem to sprout from my womb, no matter what I do"

    OMG that made me spit out my protein drink. Haha!

    I love this post! God is so good to prune and grow and tend us...and never too fast or too slow...always at just the right pace for us to handle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. shes telling the truth... she really does kill everything! im surprised she hasnt killed us kids(that just sprout from her womb!) yet!

    ReplyDelete